Saturday, January 31, 2009

Finished on that round of chemo!

Yesterday I had my 12 and final chemo of Taxol and Herceptin YAY!!!! I can't believe I have had chemo for 3 months already-it just flew by. Maybe my next 3 months of chemo will go by just as quick.
We saw the doctor yesterday and he gave me my exam and guess what????????? He said it felt like a normal breast exam. How about that-we are hoping it is already gone. What a miracle. So next week on Wednesday at 4 I have to have a Ecko and Muga scan on my heart and at 6 I have to have another MRI. He said if the Mri shows no sign of the cancer that he will cut out the herceptin until after this chemo because the other chemos I will be on, there is one that when given with herceptin it can cause serious heart damage. That is why I am getting another Ecko and Muga scan to check and see how my heart is doing after 3 months on herceptin. He said though if there is a slight bit of cancer showing up in the tumor spot or in my lymph nodes still then he will go ahead with all chemos and herceptin-because the risk is greater in the cancer part. I hope that just made sense. So I am going to hope and pray that it is gone on the mri because I don't want to deal with heart issuess too-but whatever I have to do.
So after the Mri and scans on my heart I will see Dr. Marcom on Friday again before my treatment then I will go back up on Monday for treatment again. Initially we thought it was going to be a Tuesday and Friday and now it is Mon and Fri. Oh also I will have to give myself a shot or drive back up to duke on saturday-I think I can give myself the shot. I was giving myself the byetta shots for diabetes last year-hopefully this shot won't be much larger that that one. My nurse told me to call and see if my insurance covers it being how I won't be in a clinic or hospital. She said sometimes it won't cover it-you giving it to yourself. So I called my pharmacy and doctor and the shot is THIRTY TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!! My part is 200.00 thank goodness for insurance. The shot is called Neulasta. My doctor said the chemo is going to knock my white blood counts way down and Neulasta makes new ones. They said even if I am around someone with a little cold or eat a fruit with some kind of bacteria where someone else might not get sick I could get sick and die. I really didn't need to hear that. Anyway I just know I need to be real careful these next 3 months.
I am doing really good today-feeling good about everything. Now maybe when I have that Mri and the chemo on Friday that will be a differnet story. But for today I am so happy about everything and blessed beyond words.
God bless to everyone-Love Audra

4 comments:

annie said...

hey audra- that is such wonderful news. i am so happy for you and the family. i know that all of this is going to be in the past soon, real soon. we are all going to be on that girls' trip(me, you, jaime, melodie, sarah, audra b, and whoever else wants to come.) we are going to be celebrating the new , but old you. i can't wait. just let me know if you need a ride on fridays now. i'm afraid i might be harm to both of us if i tried to drive us there on a monday. i can always tag a long w/ someone else on mon. anyway - i love you very much and i can't wait to get more great news. oh and i don't have chemistry anymore, so i'm free 5 days a week.
i love you
annie

Melodie said...

I am so excited for you. You are such a trooper. I am with Annie on the trip. The destination is your choice and everything else will be on us. I love you very much and this has made my day. I am quite sure you and Corky were all smiles yesterday!!!!

glendalh said...

Audra,So Happy for You!
Love you,
Aunt Glenda
Ps,just wrote a long note ad lost it so I will write more later on

Jill Roberts said...

Hey Audra! I am thrilled for you and the progress that you are making, with minimal side affects!!! I can't believe that you are half way through it!!! I continue to lift you up in prayer and you are right, miracles do happen!!! Keep your eyes and heart towards the Lord and he will always be there for you!!! God is good ALWAYS! Jeremiah 32:27 BEHOLD, I AM THE LORD, THE GOD OF ALL FLESH: IS THERE ANY THING TOO HARD FOR ME? I believe the answer to that is NO, there is nothing too hard for Him!!! You hang in there!!! You are so blessed to have such a wonderful family and friends to rally around you and lift you up!!! You may feel like the catapillar right now but you will soon turn in to the butterfly!!!! :) In prayer, Jill Roberts