Saturday, January 10, 2009

9th chemo

Friday I had my 9th chemo. My doctor said the week before that I didn't need to have blood work done the next few weeks as long as I still was feeling fine. So we left home at 6am and arrived at Duke at 9:15 for our 9:30 appt. They called us back at 11 and asked us if we had blood work done and we told them that the dr. said it was ok not to have it. Well apparantly not, you cannot get Taxol without bloodwork so they had to send us down for labs and that took about an hour then we had to wait back in the waiting area again. Finally we got started about 1:30 so we got home about 8:00 instead of 3:30. Oh well all is good and I am still feeling fine.
I am getting anxious about my next 12 weeks of chemo. I have done so well these past 9 weeks on Taxol and I am hoping the next 12 weeks of treatment go as well. I have said in the past blog it is called the FEC MD Anderson. The actual drug names are F for Fluorouracil (Adrucil) E for Epirubicin (Ellence) and C for Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan). And I will still be on Herceptin. That will be twice a week for twelve weeks. I was going to ask if anyone has taken any of these chemos but I know people that has been on taxol and it was horrible for them and I have been on taxol and worked 10 hour days and have felt fine. I shouldn't work myself up in a tizzy and try to find everything out about the drugs because I know they have a different effect on each person. I am just rambling-sorry! I know I just need to take each day, day by day. But each day I get closer to the next twelve. I am getting so anxious and scared.
Thank you to everyone for your continued support and prayers. I go back and read all the comments people write to me each day and it makes me feel better. Thank you so much. Love Audra

My kids are doing really well, Harlie is in 9th grade at Croatan High School and is doing really good in school. She is a typical teenager-moody most days and really full of energy and conversation when she wants something. I can remember being that age, so I try not to get on her too much although I do think she is spoiled rotten but I love her dearly. Cole is in third grade and the sweetest little man you will ever meet. I signed him up for soccer today. I wasn't going to do any kind of sports for the kids because of the money and time with me going through all of my stuff. But I thought it would be a nice outlet for him. At least he can get out there a couple of days a week instead of seeing me sick and in bed alot. It will start when I am going in my next 12 weeks of chemo. I have some friends that has offered to help with bringing him home from practice. Now I have to find something for Harlie to do, she is 15 now and can work. Only problem is I want her to work at the IGA across the street from our subdivision but she wants to work 15 to 20 minutes away in Atlantic beach at AB Surf shop where she can spend her money before she gets a check. Oh well. What to do.
My wonderful husband is glad the christmas rush for UPS is over. Now he can get home at a decent hour. He has been so good to me taking me to Duke every time except for once when my friends Jaime and Annie took me. My mom has been the best to me too. She comes to see me everyday and helps with the kids so much. I don't know what I would do without her. My father in law has also helped out with the kids also. I have been truly blessed to have such a wonderful family.
Well thats all for the Smith-Odum family.
God bless to everyone-Love Audra

6 comments:

Tracy Gillikin said...

Audra, I have children at Croatan and Bogue Sound so anytime you need help transporting the children I can get them in the Dropins van. We pick up everyday. I know Harley wants a job at the beach but my niece Krystal started at Subsational at 15 and she loves it. She rides the van to Dropins and go to work at 4 and gets off work at 9:15. It is perfect for us anyway. I am glad you are doing well. I think about you and your family often. Please don't hesitate to call me. I will do what ever I can to help you. Love Tracy and Family
Also my husband does not work so he could be your taxi if you ever need a ride.

Emily said...

Audra -

Thanks for commenting on Grant's blog. It was so nice to see you too! I keep checkin' in on you!

Grant did the Cytoxin twice. For us, a Cytoxin day was a very long day. I'm not sure if they will administer it the same way with you.... but here's what we did.

1) Grant had to be able to "pee" at a certain specific gravity before they could do it. In other words his bladder had to be full enough to do the medicine before they would administer it to him. Cytoxin is very hard on the bladder, so you have to be very hydrated before you can have it. What was rough for us was that he had to do a spinal tap first, so he couldn't eat or drink anything before we went to the clinic. So, after the spinal tap he had to drink lots of water!

2) Once you're ready, then they run the medicine in through an IV in your port for a while. Not too long...


3) Then after you do the medicine, you have to rehydrate to a certain level before they will let you leave. They have to make sure that enough is out of you before they release you. For us, this meant doing IV fluids for 3 hours!

Anyway - Cytoxin is a long day, maybe 6 hours or so!

We did Cytoxin on the day that Lean had Carter - her youngest little boy. Mama had gone with us to the clinic, and Leah went into labor unexpectedly. So, Mama made her way over to Raleigh for the delivery while we stayed in Chapel Hill and did the chemo. At the end of the day, Carter had already been born!

It was a long day!

Good luck. We'll keep praying for you!

Caren said...

Hey Audra, Just wanted you to know we continue to follow along and pray for you as you face this unbelievable challenge...stay strong, and remember you have lots and lots of people pulling for you and praying for you from all over!! Best wishes! Caren and Teddy

Jan said...

Hi Audra,
It was good to hear that you are doing so well and I believe that with all of us praying so hard you will continue to do very well. I can imagine that your weeks coming up are making you anxious and afraid but keep your faith and your spirits up and look down the long road as it gets shorter and shorter. We are all here, very close, for you and you think about that on the harder days. It's so good that the kids are doing well and I am sure Harley will find a suitable job that makes both you and her happy. My sons both worked at Bert's and although I didn't particularly like that it worked out pretty well in the end.So keep your mind open to possibilities like that. If you are up tp it I will look forward to my appt. with you next week. By the way, I have had soooo many compliments on my hair. Remember you curled it last time I was there? I just love it and the color. Going back to my "real" color is the right thing to do! Thanks, Audra, for sharing your wonderful talents with all of us and for being the wonderful, inspirational person that you are! Hope to see you soon. Remember to call on me any time!! Jan

glendalh said...

May God Bless You!
You are in my thoughts and prayers,
Love you,Aunt Glenda

glendalh said...

Audra,Have a safe and restful day!
Love,Aunt Glenda