Friday, January 2, 2009

8th one down-already :)

I had my eight chemo today. Everything went good. We also saw the doctor today. Actually before I begin this I want to apologize for my writing skills (lack of) they are horrible and I know it and also I can't go in and change the misspellings for some reason. But oh well! Glad I got that out of the way.
My doctor measured the tumor again today and it has shrunk even more. It took her a little while to feel it and get a good measurement. It was originally 5cc last 4 weeks it was 4.5 now it measures 3.8. So Yay!!!!!!!!! Your prayers and support are working, thank you so much. Today we discussed what will be going on in the next year. I will get 4 more treatments of Taxol and Herceptin then go right in the next 12 weeks of my next treatment. It is called FEC MD Anderson effect or experience. I'm not sure.( I am sure my wonderful oncology nurse Kim is getting a kick out of this story-I am pretty loopy when we talk about it-hopefully I have some info right) It will be twice a week probably ending at the end of April. Then maybe waiting a week or up to three weeks to get my white blood count up then surgery. They said the next twelve weeks will probably make me nauseous and very tired. After surgery I will probably start Radiation for about 6 weeks for 5 days a week. There is a place called Caring House near Duke that they told me to contact about staying thru the week and coming home on weekends. Then I will go back to Duke every 3 weeks for Herceptin for a year. They said when it gets to that it will be a breeze from going twice a week to once every 3 weeks. It seems like it keeps getting longer and longer of a process. But whatever it takes to get rid of this cancer for good-that is what I will do.
Today when I was getting my chemo there was this old man getting chemo also-with two prison guards.!!!!!! I feel bad he had no family with him and then to think about him going back to a cell trying to fight cancer. I know it is crazy for me to think about, but I wonder what he did? Rob a bank, steal cars, or worse. I don't even want to think about it really-but then I wonder, what happened to him or what kind of family did he have growing up. So it brings me to really be so thankful for all my family-All of them and All of my friends because they have shaped me and made me the person I am today. I'm not trying to toot any horns but I feel I am a good person who has been so blessed to be shaped by such wonderful people in my life. It is funny how in the past I would pass judgement on that man thinking that whatever he did it must have been bad for him to go to prison-but now I think I bet he didn't have the mom or dad I had or grandparents or aunts and uncles or friends that have all been so good to me. Especially my husband and kids who are the best in the world to me and love me so much. So I think from this day forward I won't be so quick to pass judgement on people anymore. Wow that was deep or something! I just wanted to let everyone that has come in my life to know what an impact you have made on me-for the good. So thank you so much.
Tonight when I say my prayers -I usually pray for everyone that was up in the chemo lab, cancer patients, the nurses who are so good to us and the volunteers. I will also be praying for that old man in prison.
Goodnight everyone and God Bless

7 comments:

Celia said...

Audra,

What a blessing! It is such an encouragement to hear how God is opening your eyes and heart to see life differently. We know He is working when our perspective and hearts are being changed. I will also be praying for that gentleman and that God will open his heart to receive the gift of Jesus. We pray for you daily! May you continue to see God's grace being poured out in your life. Much Love,Celia

Jaime said...

That is such great news!!! You are such an inspiration and I feel blessed to have you as my friend.
Love, Jaime

annie said...

damn it audra-you just want to make me cry. you know that i'm an old sappy, boo-hooer! i told you that you would get good news and you did and it's only going to get better.this is going to be a wonderful year for you-i just know it is.
you know that you were talking about not passing judgement on people and there are two people that have helped me see the light on this matter. that would be you and tracy howell. now i know i still have some minor problems w/ it, but i have gotten better because of you two. i would give a couple of scenarios, but i don't want anyone's feelings getting hurt
on here or have someone mad at me. also, w/ you getting this cancer it makes me see things so differently now. we take so much for granted in our day to day life. when i think i have it bad- i try and put myself in your shoes or someone elses that is n't doing so well. i just want you to know that i am so proud of you that you are facing this head on. you have been so strong and you're still working your butt off and running your kids around. that's awesome and saying a lot.
you know i was looking thru some
pictures of me, you and jaime from that crazy night on front street about 2 yrs ago. who would have thought w/ all the fun that we were having that night, that a couple of years later we would be going thru this w/ you. you are truly a blessing to me and my kids. yes, even david-i'll throw him in there too. i don't know what i'd do w/o you in my life.i will be here to the end of this battle w/ you and it's going to be over soon. we are all going to win this fight w/ you.
now, while you are praying at night-i want you to ask God to help me quit cussing so damn much. it's a bad habit but it really needs to be stopped.
well you know i love you girl and call me if you need me.
you really need to put sweet child of mine on here and listen to the words of it. it's my song to you. love you lots and lots and lots.
annie

annie said...

my gosh son- i didn't mean to write a book. sorry!

Jan said...

Audra,
I was so happy to read such wonderful news from you. I have felt such positive feelings for you and your complete recovery. But I want you to know what a true inspiration you are to all of us. Your wonderful and positive attitude shines through every time I see you and I am so in awe of that from you. Your beauty is very obvious inside as well as outside. I thank you for the gift of knowing you and your family. There are so many sad stories out there, and I am sure we all have some in our families/friends but we need to look at things as you do and keep our faith strong and evident. God helps those who help themselves and that is you and that is why you are conquering this so well. By the way, the pictures of you and the family are absolutely gorgeous! Much love to you, Jan

jenny w said...

Audra,
Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and keeping healthy thoughts for you on a daily basis. Keep up the amazing positive attitude! That I think is half the battle.

Love,
Jenny W

glendalh said...

Audra,Thinking of you and wanted to
read your blog to check on things with you to see what has been going on.I love reading your up dates and you put so much in when you write.So glad that you are doing so well and your family.
God bless you,
My prayers are with you,
Aunt Glenda