Monday, November 3, 2008

That same day I had more mammograms done (about 2 hours worth) and I also had a ultrasound done of both lumps and blood work. We met with another oncologist at 1:oo and he agreed with the first doctor, he thinks it is more invasive cancer than what we originally thought because of the size.
We went back to Duke the next day Oct 16th and I had two biopsys one on the original lump and one on the new lump that they felt yesterday. The doctor that did the biopsy said the new lump didn't look cancerous to him but the biopsy would tell us for sure.
So then we had to wait another week for the results of those biopsy-the first one was invasive DCIS and the new lump wasn't cancer.
The waiting of all of these test have been dreadful.
On Wednesday Oct 22 we had to go back to Duke for genetic testing and also to have a MRI.
The genetic testing was painless with just some blood to give them and talk about family history. They can determine if I have the gene Brac 1 or Brac 2 that will mean I will have about an 80% chance of it coming back in my other breast so I would need to have a double masectomy and my ovaries removed because I would have a high chance of getting ovarian cancer. If it comes back negative than it is called environmental. I hope i am negative. I will get the results the week of Nov 11th.

My doctor called from Duke and said that the MRI showed a large lymph node behind the cancer. Measuring about 2cc so they will have to biopsy that. (I think that is what they said) also I am going to have a Pet scan done to see if it has spread to any organs or my bones. (LETS PRAY THAT IT HASEN'T) I also am having more ultrsounds done and more blood work done. I will be having a MUGA scan done on my heart to see if it is healthy enough for the chemo. He said that they are going to start me on some pretty aggresive chemo and the drug Herception in the next couple of weeks. I will need to take the drug Herception because I am HER/2 positive. That means that it is a fast and aggresive growing cancer.

I still can't believe all of this-it is like a bad dream to me. But I know I have to keep going and be strong for my family.

My family and friends have been so wonderful to me. Thank you so much! I love all of you!

7 comments:

Melodie said...

This is a fabulous idea. I am quite impressed. This way everyone can the correct information. Love ya!

annie said...

audra- i am so glad that you got onto the blog page. you did a great job at explaining it all. just remember that you have your friends and family behind you. we are here to support you and your family thru this terrible ordeal.

i love you audra leigh!!!!

annie jo

qthrul said...

I just saw your Facebook update and clicked over to read your blog and was not expecting what I read.

Sharing your updates in such a cogent manner is worthy of admiration and is inspiring.

[[sending positive thoughts]]

-Jay

Kim said...

Audra,
I just want you to know that I am thinking about you. I am praying that you get wonderful news when you go back to the Dr. Take care, KIM

Jodi Lewis said...

You have an army of friends in your camp; praying for you, sending positive thoughts, and ready to do whatever we can to help. Thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress in this great way!

Kristie said...

Audra, I have been thinking a lot about you... as everyone else has. Melodie has been trying to update me, but now we can try to understand it better (if that is at all possible). We all love you!!!!

Paula said...

Audra
I have been thinking alot about you since I found out what you were going through. I have been keeping up with you through Donna. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Paula