Tuesday, February 10, 2009

SICK SICK SICK

Today is my first day that I am able to get on this computer and write. I had my doctor visit and new rounds of chemo last friday the 6th. We saw the doctor and she said the Ecko came back fine so therefore we will still continue with the herceptin. Which I was hoping that I wouldn't have to take too. But being how my Mri showed the mass still there-I'm quoting from the Mri report-Although the measurements are similiar, this known cancer is now much less bulky and much less apparent. Two of the right axillary lymph nodes have increased in size. The largerst measured 26mm x16mm on series 504 B, image 30. It is believed to most likely be related to the patients known skin rash rom the Taxol.
So they think what is showing up now is scar tissue where the cancer was. Plus the two swollen lymph nodes that wasn't present last time. But they can't be for sure and don't want to put me through another biopsy so they are going ahead with the full md anderson and herceptin regimen. My doctor did tell me that the effects are more profound and risk of heart problems. But he recommends this is still the best way to go.
They started my iv and gave my my fluids and I received Zofran and decadron. Then my next chemo's are called push chemo's or push meds not sure. One of the chemos was in these huge needle viles and it was red there were four of them and another one was clear. My nurse had to sit beside me and push these meds in at a pretty slow rate then I had my bag of cytoxan then my bag of herceptin. I think we were there about 5 hours total. Halfway home I started getting sick on my stomache and havent' felt right since. I have alternated Zofran, Ativan, and Compazine. I am on ativan right now and am feeling a little loopy.
Monday we went back for the 5Fu one push medicine and the shot Neulasta. They saw me when I got there with a bucket in hand about to throw up and took me on back. My sweet nurse Kim got me a chair in the corner near her and started me with some fluids for about an hour before we even started my medicine. That made me feel so much better I think I was a little dehydrated. I also got a dose of Zofran in my iv that made me feel better too.
The good news is my doctor called on the way home and said that it was a misunderstanding about every week, it will be every 3 weeks on Friday and Monday. So yay that part is good-but I think what they give my is definately stronger I guess that is why it is every 3 weeks. Dr. Marcom also said on the phone to be more careful that this isn't like last time, I will feel more tired and shortness of breath and if I feel an extreme shortness of breath call or go to the hospital because it could be the herceptin and eppiribucin affecting my heart.
I know I am halfway through with chemo but with me feeling this bad after round one I have been a little more than sad, sick, sad, depressed oh I don't know. It just seem like such a long road ahead. When you feel sick it changes things-I'm trying to do mind over matter. Today is the first day that I had to ask someone in my neighborhood to pick up my kids for me. She was so kind and said anytime. But that sure does make it seem like things are slipping from what they use to be. Well thats all for now-Love Audra

8 comments:

Jaime said...

Hang in there!! You are so strong and you are going to beat this. You may have cancer but cancer does not have you. I love you and if you need anything please call me.
Jaime

Melodie said...

Just let us know what we can do for you. We can help with anything you need. We love you very much.

Susan Hancock said...

Hi Audra, I'm Aly's and Emily's mom (and my other four children- they would laugh if I just identified myself as Aly's and Em's... ) We are keeping you and your beautiful family in our prayers and thoughts each day.

If you feel good enough to sit at your computer, go to youtube and listen to some good music- Michael Buble or someone who really sings to your soul. Listen like you're hearing the music for the first time, and let it fill up your senses. It will lighten your load. Hang in there.

Judy said...

Sorry to hear that you are sick but it will pass take it easy and let your friends help you when they offer.Everone is praying and you have done so well.Love Judy

Jodi Lewis said...

Audra,
I will continue praying for you to get through this with stregth. Lean on HIM and lean on your friends and family. You have got to rest your body while this medicine works! Please call me if I can do anything to help...pick up your groceries or drive your kids where they need to be, whatever! 241-3450 Please let me help! Love you, hang in there-Jodi

Jan said...

Hi Audra,
Although you are going through some very stressful moments please don't forget how much we all are praying for you. Your strong faith and belief in our Lord will take you through these stressful moments and you will look back on them one day with a proud feeling that you got through this. It's so hard to understand that God only gives us what He knows we can bear. That doesn't seem right or fair but He made us and knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows that you can do this. Please call me anytime you need help or just someone to talk too. You know I will be so happy to do whatever I can. Keep your chin up and remember how all of your friends and family are behind you and love you. Take care and rest! Jan

annie said...

hey audra-you have done so well thru all of this and you are going to get thru the rest of it. i hate what you are goig thru-we all do. we all wish we could take it away, but we are here for you for whatever you need. don't hesitate to call us, please don't stress yourself out over the things that we can do for you. you need to concentrate on yourself, your health(mental,emotional,physically). spiritual too.
did you get those banana pops or peanut butter yet? if not, call me. i'm on it! well you know i love you very much and we are going to be celebrating real soon when all of this is over. i can't wait.

annie said...

IN CASE I FORGOT TO TELL YOU-IT'S VALENTINE'S DAY AND I LOVE YOU! I HOPE YOU AND CORKY HAVE A GOOD ONE.